Tuesday 12 November 2013

Orange Chocolate Biscotti


Sometimes I want a biscuit alright??? We're all human, and get cravings for those things we really shouldn't be eating...BUT...I made a choice to eliminate refined sugar and grains from my diet, not only to achieve weight loss goals but primarily for health reasons. I don't want to fill my body with foods which are so heavily processed that they're more chemicals than actual food.

I do keep stressing than the recipes I post here for desserts should be used in moderation since most of them contain large amounts of nut flours which are pretty calorific. Even still...I love that I can make biscuits or dessert and not feel like I've undone my week of hard training, and still stick to not eating refined sugars and grains. I think it's for that reason that I've been so successful in changing my lifestyle... It's sustainable, and that's the most important thing when it comes to changing your habits. 

So back to the biscuits.... I LOVE this biscotti... and thankfully my friends all love it too so they're always willing to make sure that I don't polish off the lot! Moderation remember?! 

  • 100g almond flour
  • 25g coconut flour (or almond flour if you prefer)
  • 30g unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 4 tbsp raw organic honey
  • 2 tbsp orange juice
  • 2 tbsp orange zest
  • 75g chopped walnuts
This is super easy to make... 

Preheat oven to 170c (fan).
Throw everything into a bowl.

Mix until you have a stiff dough. 
Since it's a dry mixture (it's supposed to be!) you'll probably have to get stuck in with your hands to get the mixture to form a firm ball. 


Next shape into a slightly flattened log. 

Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes & lower the temperature to 150c. 
Leave to cool for 20 minutes.
Slice at a diagonal angle, using a really sharp knife (otherwise it'll crumble and crack). 

Place the biscotti back in the oven (lowered temperature) and bake for a further 15 minutes. This dries them out, and gives you that crunchy crumbly texture that makes biscotti so delicious! 

The biscuits should be firm when you remove them from the oven. Don't over bake them as the do firm up more when they cool... over baking results in brick-like biscotti! 


If you're enjoying the blog, then follow me on Twitter @gingerbreadmiss or on my new shiny Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/grabbinglifebythekettlebells :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment