Tuesday 29 April 2014

Parmesan Chicken..


I'm constantly getting requests from people to post ideas to make chicken interesting. I'm 100% convinced that the reason most people don't stick to their resolution to eat better, is because even they know what they should be eating (ie. good quality protein, healthy fats & carbs from unrefined sources), they have no idea how to make it interesting! 

Honestly, if I ate the same thing every day, I'd get bored... get bored of what you're eating and you'll want something else... problem is, you'll usually crave & reach for the bad option... the take away menu or the frozen pizza... 

I know some of the dessert recipes I post are time consuming & involve a few steps...but nobody has time for that when it comes to cooking a week night dinner. This Parmesan chicken took less that 30 minutes to prepare, cook & tidy up after..... AND I made extra so that was the following day's breakfast sorted too. Oh AND I threw together a quick lemon and garlic marinade for chicken while I waited. 


Healthy food doesn't need to be bland and tasty food doesn't need to be unhealthy... 

For the chicken: 
  • 2 chicken fillets
  • 1 1/2 tbsp ground almonds
  • 1 1/2 tbsp dessicated coconut
  • 40g finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • sea salt & pepper

Place the chicken between 2 sheets of parchment paper/cling film. Butterfly the chicken and bash until 1/2" thickness. Why do I do this? 3 reasons... it tenderises the chicken, gives thinner strips which cook quickly, and I'm not kidding... by flattening the chicken, it looks like you get more chicken strips when you slice it. It looks like there's more on your plate and your brain gets tricked into thinking you have more food (awesome if you're greedy like me!) 


Mix the ground almonds, coconut, parmesan and chilli together and set aside on a shallow plate. 


Season the chicken strips with salt & pepper. 

Dip in the beaten egg & then coat in parmesan crumb mixture. Repeat until all the chicken is coated. 


Place in a heatproof dish, drizzle with a little melted coconut oil & bake for 10 minutes at 180d until cooked through, golden brown & crispy. 


I served these with a rocket salad & some homemade salsa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment