Wednesday 18 September 2013

Pizza!!!!

This is rapidly turning into the best blog EVER! A pizza recipe that is healthy and actually tastes like pizza... My work here is done!



Traditional pizzas don't exactly fit in with a Primal/Paleo lifestyle, so I felt it was absolutely time to see if I could change that. It's a running joke with a friend of mine, that it's been so long since I had pizza, I'll eventually cave and break into Dominos. No need for that thankfully, since I've found a pizza base that is actually firm enough to lift up a slice without it crumbling apart. 

I need you to bear with me when I tell you what it's made of though...no snap judgements that it'll smell like old person or feet (just two of the more tame reactions received!) I can't take credit (or blame depending on who you ask) for this, there are lots of similar recipes online, I've basically just worked on this for a while to make sure it's not just edible, that it tastes bloody good too.. 

Ok so the secret ingredient is..... 

Come back!!!! I swear it works well!

For the base (makes a 9" pizza)

  • 1/4 head of cauliflower
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 3 tbsp almond flour (this will be packaged as ground almonds in the baking aisle, or you'll get certified gluten free in the health food stores)
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed (most good supermarkets will stock this)
  • 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • sea salt
  • oregano (dried is fine) 

Good, you're still here! It's only a cauliflower... stop being such a whine!

Start by pulsing the cauliflower and garlic clove in the food processor until you have fine, rice-like grains. Careful not to overdo it or you'll end up with cauliflower purée, and sorry that is kind of gross.

Microwave for 5 minutes in a heat proof bowl (or a non microwave safe bowl like I did, burn your hand and curse loudly and often) Actually, just use the heat resistant dish.


Set aside to cool.

Add flour, flax, baking powder, egg and season as much as you want.


Mix until just combined. You're looking for a firm, pliable dough. If it's sticky you need to add more flour, and if it's dry a few drops of water.

Once the dough is made, it's a good idea to let it rest for 15 minutes in the fridge. It gives the flour time to absorb the liquid, and just makes a more firm base. If you don't have the time, or you're really hungry, you can skip this step.

Meanwhile, place baking tray in oven preheated to 170d to warm up.

Roll dough out  to about 1/2 inch thick onto a piece of parchment paper. Do NOT place the dough directly onto the tray..


Once you've preheated the oven, place the base (including the parchment) on the hot tray and bake for 10 minutes until firm and golden.

Now, you're going to be glad you used the parchment paper... you need to flip the base upside down to bake the other side for 10 mins. It's far easier to do if you've the parchment to help you. If you don't do this, you're going to end up with a sticky base. Not pizza like at all... and we want pizza for dinner right?
When you have an evenly baked, firm base, remove from the oven and set aside.


Now it's simple... you need to add meat. Ok fine, add some other stuff too. But don't be mean with the meat. I hadn't got any bacon when I was making this pizza, I felt a bit cheated even though I had half a dead cow. I honestly did consider putting a fried egg on top...just cos...

I'm in no doubt that there are people reading this thinking....but... 'red meat is bad', 'eggs are bad for your heart', 'frying eggs is terrible'... Sorry, but you're wrong. Meat is great, you need protein. End of... chances are, you're not eating enough protein, so go snack on some meat. Fried eggs are also amazing.. fat WILL NOT make you fat. (I promise to rant more about this later...lucky you!)

Sorry... I digress..

Toppings:


These are just what I threw on, obviously you can use whatever you have/feel like.

  • Organic tomato paste
  • Meat, with some extra meat. I use cooked steak. Mainly because I felt like steak and pizza for dinner so this ended up being the resulting compromise
  • Spinach (you really should have spinach in your diet, it's full of vitamins, flavenoids, iron and is an excellent anti-inflammatory) 
  • Peppers 
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • Mushrooms 
  • Goats cheese (St Tola raw milk goats cheese is so unbelievably good!) If you're strict Paleo or lactose intolerant, leave this out.. but please don't add a 'cheese substitute', they're full of additives and basically not healthy at all. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I have no issue with cheese (once it's not sold in a triangle with a laughing cow on it), so I'm happy to add a raw milk cheese to my meals. 
  • Fresh parsley
Piled high with fresh ingredients...hardly compares to that frozen pizza you have been eating now does it?!

Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden and all your toppings are cooked and warmed through. 



I think this will really surprise a lot of people when they try it. The base is firm and crispy like a thin base pizza. Best of all... there no grains to leave you feeling bloated afterwards. 

Hope you enjoy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment