Wednesday 18 December 2013

Coconut cookies

I've got to be honest here... I hate macaroons. I don't like the consistency or the bland flavour... BUT I played around with the recipe (I love fixing things), and these are AMAZING. 


Sugar free, grain free cookies with all natural ingredients... and they taste so Christmassy & make the kitchen smell great :) 

  • 50g flaked raw coconut (check the ingredient list to make sure there's no added sugar or vegetable oil)

  • 50g unsweetened dessicated coconut
  • 50g flaked almonds
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground cinnamon
  • zest of 1 large orange 
  • 2 tbsp orange juice
  • 2 tbsp Keen almond butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
I'm all about keeping it simple... so believe me, you can't get this wrong! 

Add all the ingredients to a heat proof bowl. 


Place above gently simmering water and keep stirring for about 5 minutes.. The reason we're doing this is to allow the flavours to develop before baking, and to create a more pliable cookie dough.. if you don't do this, the dough will be too wet to work with and the cookies won't hold together.. 

Remove from the heat & allow to cool. You can store the dough in the fridge for 3 days at this stage.
 

It's usually easier to work with if you have chilled it a little, overnight is best... but 30 mins will be ok too. 

Using a teaspoon, divide the dough into balls and flatten gently on a non-stick baking tray.


Bake for 10 mins at 160d (fan oven). Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn, and since some oven temperatures vary, make sure you don't over bake them since you're looking for a crunchy cookie that's still chewy on the inside. 



I have been known to drizzle some of my homemade chocolate over these cookies, and it works really well... they're great the way they are too though :) 

5 comments:

  1. Nice!

    Would you be able to add a "recipe" or "recipes" label to recipe-specific posts, for easier navigation?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea!

      I've been thinking I need to add a search function/recipe index... Will sort this soon :)

      Delete
  2. About many cookies would you expect from those quantities of ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes about 8-10 cookies (depending how much raw dough you eat!).

      I always keep the quantities small so my food isn't sitting around... and I don't eat them all!

      Delete
  3. I was excited to find a cookie recipe that only uses fruit as a sweetener. I made these last night and really enjoyed them! Will definitely be making these again! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete