Friday 7 February 2014

Red Velvet Cake...

I think I've passed on my love of good food to others! Lately, I get random texts only saying the name of a cake or dish that friends love. It's a not so subtle hint for me to healthify it! I love it!! 


I got a text the other night... 'Red Velvet Cake. WANT!'.... So what's a girl to do, I had to oblige and bake a Red Velvet Cake...

The part that I really love about this cake? The fact that I used beetroot juice to give it that distinctive red shade instead of artificial food colouring....I'm not going to lie, I was worried it was going to taste like beetroot, which in my opinion tastes like dirt... not a good flavour for a cake... but I'm guessing from Aimee's text "AMAZING"... she liked it :) 

  • 150g butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 tbsp raw honey
  • 6 eggs
  • 100ml buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 bottle of Beet Shot (you'll find it on the counter of most health food stores)
  • 140g almond flour 
  • 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp gluten free baking powder

Start by beating the softened butter and honey until smooth. 

Next, add the eggs, buttermilk, lemon & vanilla. Whisk on high for 3-5 minutes until light and frothy. 


Finally, add the Beet Shot (ok listen...I know it would make sense to add this with the liquid ingredients, BUT if you're whisking hard enough, you'll end up with some cake mixture outside the bowl... and I've got cream tiles which really don't need a coating of bright red beetroot juice! I'm telling you... leave it til now to add the juice...). 
Along with the Beet Shot, add the almond flour, cocoa & GF baking powder. Fold in gently until well combined. 
Pour into a 9" cake tin which has been greased & lined with baking parchment. 

Bake for 35-40 minutes until a cake tester/skewer comes out of the cake clean.
Remove from the tin & set aside to cool. 

For the icing:
  • 200g cream cheese (I use Kilbeg Dairies Mascarpone because it's Irish & hasn't got lots of nasty additives)
  • 50g Greek Yoghurt 
  • 1 tsp raw honey
  • squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

When I make Red Velvet cake, I always cut a tiny layer of cake from the top to even up where it has risen in the centre & crumble it over the top of the icing for decoration... 

Mix all the ingredients together until smooth. 

Spread an even layer of icing over the cake & serve. 


2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing! making this as my birthday cake in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete